Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My addiction

I like green tea, I really do. And I know that, for the moment, it's supposed to be good for me. I like its nutty plain taste and the idea of it--that each sip I swallow is going directly to my cells and plumping their anti-oxidant muscles. But I don't like it as much as I like black tea--served hot with cream or over ice with fresh lemon and one packet of Sugar in the Raw.

And that is just the way it is.

It's how I'm wired, I think. I find it challenging--nigh impossible--to make the transition away from my addiction to black tea. I had no trouble (well, not much trouble) giving up coffee altogether when I was trying to conceive a child all those years (20) ago. I toughed out the three day headache--avoiding all coffee-related kiosks, kitchens, friends and.. er, coffee shops for weeks until the cravings subsided. After I got pregnant, and had Max, I thought I'd just give coffee another try and found it had suddenly gone bitter and unsatisfying and, with the exception of a decaf cappuccino at Art Cafe in Nyack once or twice a year, I have never returned. But black tea... well, that is different. And I can't understand why.

I've given it up several times--when sick, when dieting (caffeine makes me hungrier), when cleansing, when fasting--with no withdrawal symptoms at all. No headaches, no cravings, nada. But for some reason, I keep crawling back to refill my cup.

Why? Well, I like it. It fits my idea of me. It tastes good, usually. It's nice to have a cup beside me while I write. I don't know. I just do.

Tell me about your addiction, if you dare!

No comments: