Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Retreat to the center of the self

Just wanted to say a quick hello.

Believe it or not, I'm still (kind of)on retreat. I promised myself that I would work on my own book(s) at least four hours a day from now on and you know what? I'm doing it.

Every single day. Really.

In fact, most days I'm writing even longer than that. I write in the wee hours of the morning before Katie gets up for school. When it's time to drive her, I put the laptop in the car, drop her off and head to the nearest Internet cafe and by 8:00 am, I'm plugged in and working. Usually, you'll find me writing through lunch, until I retrieve my daughter at 2:15.

What a blessing to have the kind of employment that allows for this. With the exception of the two days a week when I head over to the magazine, I'm able to write, think, read, research, rewrite... and sip tea.

It's the writing life I've always dreamed of. And you're a very real, very important part of it. So thanks--for reading my work and supporting me personally.

I have to thank my husband, whose support (financial and rah-rah) allows for this, and my boss, whose belief in me as a writer has helped secure the inner scaffolding it takes to proclaim: I have something to say, a story to tell, and I'm going to devote half of every day to proclaim it.

Still, though Im hiding out a bit, I always love to hear from you. Feel free to drop a line and let me know about your creative life.

No comments: