Thursday, September 17, 2009

Almost Raw Sesame Coconut Oatmeal

This morning, I stepped out the back door in my pjs and bare feet, on my way to snip a piece of fresh mint from the garden for my honeydew/mint slushie. That's when I discovered: it's cold out!

I shivered back indoors, put on my fat wooly socks and my sweater. Then, I made up a belly-warming bowl of Almost Raw Sesame Coconut Oatmeal. Our bodies need whole grains to stay healthy, but on a raw diet, that can be complicated, involving soaking and sprouting.... which is all good, but when we're hungry NOW, what do we do?

This is my compromise with all of that, invented last winter to replace buttered toast.

Almost Raw Sesame Coconut Oatmeal
The recipe makes enough for many breakfasts. Store it in an airtight glass container or large zip-log bag in the back of the frig.


Prepare the mixture:
In a big glass or ceramic mixing bowl, combine:
1 cup Rolled Oats
1/2 cup each: Quinoa flakes, Spelt flakes, Rye flakes (To simplify, I often just use a five-grain, wheat-free cereal from the Health Food Store)
1/4 cup Sesame seeds (I like the toasted seeds, even tho, technically, they're not raw)
1/4 cup shredded dried coconut
1 tsp. cinnamon

Optional: 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup sliced almonds
------------

Serve: Make enough hot water for a cup of tea. Place about a 1/2 cup dry cereal mixture in a cereal bowl. Pour 1 cup hot water over dry mixture. When all of the water has been absorbed, serve.

It's lovely just plain. But I like it with butter or coconut butter/oil and sometimes, a drop or two of raw honey or blueberry preserve.

Enjoy!

:)

No comments: