Saturday, October 3, 2009

Dinner Tonight

The temperature's dropped so quickly this year--and ever since, I've been reaching for my comfort food recipes, uncertain whether raw foods could be warming enough.

But after 6 weeks of eating almost entirely raw, switching back to heavy stews and meat made me feel... well, ick. Though I do need meat to feel well, and get the protein my body needs, I've decided to eat "mostly raw" this winter.

That said, here's my first attempt at preparing a raw autumn meal for me and Matthew. To make it, I borrowed (and modified) a great recipe from my Twitter friend, Susan Powers, at her beautiful Raw Foods site: Rawmazing.com.

Balsamic Portabello Mushrooms, Zucchini "noodles" with Sun-dried Tomato Pesto and Golden Beet Salad

For the Mushrooms
Ingredients:
4 large raw Portabello Mushrooms, washed with stems removed
EV Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Oregano
Sea Salt
Ground black pepper

Slice the mushrooms into long flat strips and set aside. Mix together remaining ingredients and toss together with the mushrooms until evenly coated. Let sit while you prepare the rest of the meal.

For the Golden Beet Salad


2 golden beets, sliced into firm half moons with a sharp knife, or use the slicing attachment of your food processor
1/2 bunch parsley coarsely chopped
Toasted sesame seeds
EV Olive Oil
pinch sea salt

Toss all ingredients together and set aside.

For the Pesto

Follow the directions on the Rawmazing blog. Rawmazing Sun Dried Tomato Pesto

For the Zucchini Noodles

I medium zucchini for each person, unpeeled

Using a vegetable peeler or very sharp paring knife, slice zucchini lengthwise from top to bottom making long, thin "noodles" until almost completely sliced. Cut ends into noodly shapes with knife.

Toss with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto, a nice glug of EV Olive Oil and a pinch of sea salt.
(I also added some grated Sheep's milk Pecorino Romano cheese.)

Serve with your favorite red wine or a nice beer.

PS The pesto would work beautifully with regular, cooked pasta as well, making this a very nutritious, almost raw meal.

Yum!
:)

No comments: